Jeez, people annoy me sometimes. Let me point out I’m not a complete misanthrope – I’m not a bloke sitting here in his underpants surrounded by computer games who has no friends. I do like some people, but strictly on my own terms and as long as they don’t piss me off.
As for the things that do piss me off, these are usually related to lack of awareness, thoughtlessness or downright bloody stupidity. One of the things that my rather odd upbringing did for me (more about that another time) was that it did at least make me aware that I’m not the only person in the entire universe. Therefore I do my best to put other people first a lot of the time, sometimes to my own detriment.
So, about the people that piss me off. They’re the ones who:
* walk through a shop doorway and then just stand there, letting everyone else pile into the back of them
* ditto with escalators, which is particularly dangerous
* position themselves on the pavement so that nobody else can get past, then waddle along at an extremely slow speed, This may also involve children or mobile phones
* people that don’t think they have to queue
* shop assistants that have a conversation loudly over your head while you’re trying to get served
These are just a few, but I’m sure you get the idea.
I’ve just had one of these moments trying to get served in a shop. Woman is standing at the counter talking to her mate while I go to pay for what I’ve bought. The woman standing there talking isn’t buying anything; she’s just passing the time of day. However, she doesn’t think that it might be an idea to shift herself just a little so that someone can actually sort out a transaction. When I said “excuse me” she looked at me as though I was disturbing her. Bit of a whaaaagarbl moment (google an image of it and you’ll see what I mean). I gave her my best Paddington stare as I left.
Now, the badass bit of me would have liked to have had a Basil Fawlty moment with her, but I was very good and zipped my lip.
That’s why I’ve got this blog.